Zenith

  • Latest News

    Wednesday, August 7, 2013

    "I Don’t Need To Tell Everyone I’m Dating Bunmi Ademokoya,” -Bryan Okwara


    Bryan Okpara came into limelight in 2007 when he won the coveted crown at the maiden edition of Mr. Nigeria competition organized by the Ben Bruce led Silverbird Group. Since then, his profile has been on the rise. He moved to South Africa 2 years ago to continue his modeling career. He was one of the lucky few who cleaned out big time in South Africa as he got a lot of mouth watery deal. Towards the end of last year however, Bryan has been more regularly in Nigeria as he is putting finishing touches to a project in the country that promises to be of great benefit to the youths. Apart from his modeling career which is still flourishing, another part of his life that also gladdens his heart, bringing so much happiness to him right now is love life. Presently he’s in romance with Bunmi Ademokoya, a top model and Best Model of the World (2007) and this is authoritative. And we can also tell you that they are happy together, and they are both hopeful that it will lead to marriage soon.
    The interesting thing about these lovebirds is that they hardly step out together, part of keeping their relationship very secret. Most time, when they get invitations to attend the same event, they don’t step in together; they don’t have a regular place where they hang out. The only times they actually showed affection for each other openly is when they are traveling outside the country or far away in South Africa, that is when they let their guard down.  Bryan and Bunmi were in an intimate photo- shoot and this has kept tongues wagging ever since, though most people assumed they took the pictures for their modeling career, others believe it is more to it than that.
    Bryan radiates an unassuming humility that seem not to stop in catching the fancies of beautiful hotties across the globe. His profile is on the rise with every job-acting, modeling and dancing. From romantic roles in Heart to Heart  to I’ll Take My Chances, Weekend Gateway, True Citizens and  Awakening, he leaves the female folks breathless and the male folks Green with Envy A 6 footer with well-chiseled abs and an attractive face, Bryan says he isn’t all about romance, thus, shares his passion, love life and career in this exclusive chat with Movie Moments.

    From heart 2 heart to I’ll take my chances and your current flick, how has the acting terrain been like?
    It’s been a great transition from being a TV presenter to becoming an international TV model  and delving into acting has been a great transition and I’m grateful for the success so far. The more criticism that one gets, the better one get and I intend to always do better, glory be to God I’m in over 11 cinema movies in less than 2 years and that is something I should be proud of.

    How did you come about your first role?
    Well, my first acting role was from Heart 2 Heart which you mentioned and I was surprised you knew that was actually my first film. Anyways, it was directed by Mr. Remi Ekeinde of Africa Awake which shows on Africa Magic, who called me up and said Bryan I think you look good on screen and he put me through some training and it was shot in South Africa and that was it.

    Didn’t you have doubt about the move being your first time a relatively new terrain?
    I wanna have doubt die? You need to see the script, it was like a Bible! Even the script I get these days aren’t much. It was much and I was reading and wondering if I would remember my lines, change into my character and mood but interestingly, I pulled successfully through because I got a lot of good reviews from it.

    Let me take you back to your days as a TV presenter at Nigezie , what were your plans then?
    When I was in Nigezie, I didn’t have a plan to be this, in fact, let me tell you the story of how I got into Nigezie. The station was looking for presenters then and a lot of people were called for audition and out of them all, I just wanted to work and have the fun because they all had more experience than me, so the person I was with at that time advised and encouraged me to go and Kwame saw me and we both got on camera and there was supposed to be a second audition but I didn’t show up and everyone wondered why because then Nigezie was the biggest thing and Kwame called me up and asked why I didn’t show up and he promised to do another audition and I still didn’t show up. He called me up and I gave another excuse and he asked when I was free to come and one day I just got up and went and I saw a lot of people and I was picked. And before then, I was already a model for Fanta and with Nigezie, the status was in the making and after three years, I contested and won Mr. Nigeria and the Silverbird people said I couldn’t be a TV presenter anymore.

    How do you maintain your cool despite all the fame and fortune?
    From time to time, I try not to falter and stray from my God and my priorities and from a brand known as Bryan.

    What happens next when movies and modeling days are over? Are there plans for retirement?
    Till then but I plan to climb to the peak of my career as an individual and as an active youth of Nigeria.
    So, how long do you see Bryan doing all these in the world of showbiz?
    You are probably looking at the museum! That is actually Michael Jackson’s dream! For the time that God would permit me to be a brand and mirror or light to shine on other people, I would last to last along as possible. I wouldn’t force it when I’ve done it all but I would change my work like if you used to be a singer, you turn into a songwriter and probably later something else and become someone who has worked with everybody and gives advice to everyone in the industry. I would change my career line as I grow older and with that the world would appreciate me more, so I would keep rebuilding.

    What was it like growing up for you?
    Growing up, I’m down the chain, I’m actually the sixth out of seven kids. I’m a Christian from a Catholic family, most of my family stuck together until everyone grew up and moved out. Finally when were done with studying, everyone started settling down and that is the situation at the moment. I have elder brothers and Sisters, they see me and are happy that I’ve been able to do well for myself and grown in my career but at the same time as a family, we are very ordinary people, we related as we have always, keep my old friends, people I grew with.

    Would it be correct to say you grew up with a silverspoon?
    Yes, I actually did grew up with a silverspoon but at a time in life, you need to leave all that behind and find your own person. Without been disrespectful, I chose my own career and my own person without being a mama or papa’s boy but I believe I was looking for something greater of being a better use to people around me because I feel the higher you are, the higher the responsibility and be around and there for my country.

    Did your parents’ status influence you at any point in time?
    Well my dad is a businessman, he’s a typical Igbo man. I lost my mum in 2003 but I have someone that stood in that place and she’s the one I refer to as my mum right now and even before my mum passed away, she’s the godly kind of person, who keeps telling you to remain responsible and be dedicated to God as well as humble.

    From being a model to a TV presenter and an actor, didn’t you think about Big Brother as an option?
    Big Brother…I would shock you but don’t let me say some things! Well, I was invited and I actually went for auditions. My managers actually thought of it as move but on the same day I was supposed to go for another audition, I was already billed to shoot I’ll take my chances in Calabar and I had about 20 scenes with Ini Edo and I had to make a choice. At that point in time, I just came back to Nigeria and I was already winning the hearts of producers and directors and I felt this is the time I need to prove myself because I can’t just bail out of what is fresh and I just started or else they would like me as been unserious so I shunned Big Brother since it’s annually and faced my career. And I was called again during the Celebrity edition that had Goldie-may her gentle soul rest in peace-I was supposed to represent Nigeria with Goldie but for so many reasons, you know when you are singing contracts, brand, agreement and other things come into play, that is all I can tell you about why I didn’t participate.

    Could it be about the pay?
    Well who knows! I just wouldn’t want to disclose the reasons to the public.

    You once said you love recycling things as a youngster, what happened to that dream?
    Wow! You have indeed done your research on me! That dream, amazingly, as long as it seems to be is still in the works. When I just got my management team, I was asked to write down everything I would want to do and they looked at them and highlighted the ones that needed to be done now and the ones to be done later. So sometimes in the future, that would come to fruition but it might not be for Lagos State, it depends on the terms and contract that I have with my local government. You know one thing about being Mr. Nigeria is to always leave a track record without been attached to a particular region. I wouldn’t want to work here and neglect other places, so I want to start it in Imo but not restricted to one place and if that works that means it would be expected in the nearest future.

    But what really brought about the dream to always collect things with the aim of recycling it?
    Because as a child, I have always had the knack to keep things because I feel everything is valuable. While I was young, I never throw away my toys or anything around me because I harness everything that is spoilt and those things come in handy when something is broken or spoilt and all I need to do is just get the spare and fix it without anyone knowing. So one day I just felt, why don’t I just recycle stuff and reach to the people and the society on a larger scale.

    Who really is Bryan?
    Bryan Okwara is just a normal guy that loves plantain, love the colour red, like fast cars, PS3, loves to cook Indomie and Egg, likes to travel, loves balling, enjoy meeting people, very generous, approachable, love people, love listening to music, love the community and elieves one person can change the entire community. I’m not the most holy person but I like to let the air down around me, I love to allow people get confident and comfortable around me because that way, you would learn to have people around you. When I went for the best models in the world, out of the 120 people, I actually won best friendship, which is the most friendly person and it’s so funny that I didn’t even go out for that. I always try to understand people’s situation and respond or treat them accordingly.

    When you look at the mirror, who do you see?
    I see a very bad sharp guy…a sure boy! (laughs)

    Humility is viewed as one hard to get characters of stars but you have been viewed as down to earth with friends and colleagues confirming it, is it something you do because of stardom or something you go out of your way to do?
    That is a very powerful question. I would like to say my family and up-bring actually had a big hand in this because if you see my brothers and sisters it’s the same thing and you would understand the language we speak. Even before the brand Bryan was born, it has always been in me and when the brand was born, it became better but no matter how well you try to be and remain positive, people would always see it otherwise and I just maintain my calm believing I’m not superman who wants to change the world but for people around me, I feel I could transfer my positivity.

    So, how do you manage people that try to take advantage of that humility?
    To be very realistic, there are two parts of me, there are times that I’m not just in the mood, so if you give me cold, I give you cold and if you give me hot, I give you hot. But I don’t let it get to me, you don’t know me and it really doesn’t get to me.

    When and if marriage sets in, wouldn’t it slow you down or take off the shine?
    Marriage? They say marry your friend but aside from God I don’t think anyone has the right recipe for marriage, all the stories and everything they say is not possible once God is not there, all that is just a waste of time and if God is there first then everything would work accordingly well. If I actually get married, I would have fun like a young guy, who is married, flaunt my ring. I try to have fun in every environment and that way you live longer and if I get married to a beautiful damsel someday, why not flaunt it.

    This brings me to another question, how does Bunmi take the fact that several ladies want you for keeps and would do a lot to get your attention?
    Hmmm! Oh! How do you know her name as Bunmi in the first place?

    Ok, how does Bunmi Ademokoya feel considering several ladies that want to be around you and have you as theirs?
    This is a personal question, I would say this, I’m in no…I won’t say I’m in no condition or platform to speak for Bunmi which I’m not but I wouldn’t speak for her because there is a lot that I can say, there is a lot that she can hear and there is a lot that can happen but this is real life and as much as we are experiencing this together doesn’t mean I have to come out and talk about it so I don’t talk about it.

    But aren’t you afraid of the fact that you are both in the same showbiz?
    (keeps a deafening silence)Okay….

    There’s this recent breakups in celebrity marriages and even relationships, aren’t you both scared of that?
    Well, like they say, like I said, I don’t know the kind of people that it applies to but nothing applies to you if you don’t see it in the way people see it…it’s not a problem if you don’t make it a problem, so I don’t make anything my problem. Like they say, I plan as I go ahead. I don’t think I have problems.

    Tell me the craziest thing a female has done to get your attention
    Let me give you one out of like 200, 000. I was in traffic and a lady wound down and asked are you Bryan and I said yes and she asked if she could call me and I asked why and she said because she wanted to see me and I said ok, meanwhile we were still held up in traffic and I said, so how are we supposed to go about it and she threw her phone into my car and my friends was there, so I parked my car, took her phone and went to her car to give the phone but she said she wasn’t going to take it if I don’t enter the car, I said ok, she locked the door and asked my friend to drive my car and everyone in traffic was wondering what was going on and I was just laughing! It happens a whole lot.

    As a teenager, can you tell me about your escapades?
    As a teenager, I was a bad guy! I had a lot of friends, in my teenage days, I write a lot and then I would help my friends write love letters to their girls and some of the girls knew that I wrote them. So I would leave school and when I return to school the next morning, I would get all kinds of letters, cards, gifts saying Bryan I love you, I’m the girl that sits close to you or walks with this person or that person. Some would say I want to be your school mother and I had several school mothers and even in those days when I was nobody, I had fun in the midst of girls but I didn’t disrespect any of them.

    Crush on anybody when you were young and now?
    That should be Alicia Keys! When I was young, I used to have a lot of crush on Alicia Keys and still and would pay a lot to watch her sing. There was this girl that I saw then that looked like Kelly Rowland when they were Destiny Child and I was marveled but now, I’ve got a huge crush on Alicia Keys only! She’s enough for me.

    You seem to have been stereotyped to acting romantic roles, is this your choice and are you comfortable with it?
    Never! But they know me as the guy that turns down a lot of movie scripts and that is why a lot of them don’t call me again. You can’t help it as a brand that is synonymous with women because when they see you they say this one is a ladies man now, so the brand speaks for itself but at the same time it’s nice to try different roles which I’ve shot but aren’t out yet but hopefully if they put it up, you would see how diverse I could be but until then I seem to be the choice when they need a fine boy or ladies man(laughs). They keep calling and I would keep going but like I said, I won’t make it the basis or foundation of my acting career.

    Have you had occasions when the actresses you act alongside want to take it to another level outside the set especially romantic scenes?
    I’ve had a lot of romantic scenes with actresses and I’m not going to sound monotonous saying nothing has happened but from my end, I’ve always been professional and acting a movie. From my end, I was just acting a movie and professional about it but from her end if she was feeling and beginning to like me and all that I wouldn’t know that but that hasn’t happened just yet but that would be cool. I would like to think of myself as a romantic guy but if that hasn’t happened that means nobody really digged one of my romantic scene but I’m looking forward to a day an actress would come out and say I have a crush on Bryan, I had a romantic scene with him and he did this and did that (laughs).

    Why the tattoos?
    My tattooes are Chinese writing for God’s love and the other one is a story about my surname. It has my surname with a crown and it’s pretty much about me. The story is a long family story and I carry it on my arm with me till I’m tired and I would remove it. I’m soon to be the king when I get married, I’m a king-in-waiting. I would be crowned one day and you would be there.

    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Item Reviewed: "I Don’t Need To Tell Everyone I’m Dating Bunmi Ademokoya,” -Bryan Okwara Rating: 5 Reviewed By: BrandIconImage
    Scroll to Top